Cotham Park RFC is a club that aims to be as inclusive as possible. We cater for all players of all levels, from never-played-before to experienced veterans of the game. New players of any ability are always welcome. Cotham Park is a popular choice with players inspired to take up the game, players who are resuming after a break, and players relocating to Bristol and looking for a new club. As the closest rugby club to Clifton, there are a number of Clifton-based Bristol University students that play at Cotham Park.
We have an excellent location near to Clifton (2-3 minutes from the Suspension Bridge) and a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. Seniors training takes place at the club from 6:45pm on Tuesday evenings - just bring your boots and some cash for a beer in the clubhouse afterwards. Matches are on Saturday afternoons, with the 1st XV playing in Gloucester 2 and the 2nd XV in the Gloucestershire Reserve League, and we try to get a game for everyone who wants one.
Cotham Park was originally formed in 1901 from the amalgamation of Bristol East and Redland Park rugby clubs.
The club has played at a number of grounds in its time, including the Downs, Gloucester County Cricket Ground, a field close to where the Fellowship pub is now, grazing fields in Horfield, fields near to Southmead Hospital, Filton combination ground, parish fields at Filton and then finally the purchase and move to our current home at Failand.
During its history Cotham Park has obviously had its share of famous, and infamous, individuals. Two worthy of mention are a combination from the 1920s. Len Corbett was one of the finest centres that has played for England. He was capped 16 times and even captained his country. Len was accredited with selling the first dummy in the game. His partner at the time was Reg Quick, a speedy winger who represented Bristol and Gloucester. He played for Bristol 260 times and captained them between 1922 and 1924. Reg went on to become president of the club.